Wednesday 5 June 2013

Ordering a veg box

In one of those strange coincidences, DH and I have both been independently thinking that it is time for us to order a veg box. For those who are slightly bewildered by the term, a veg box scheme delivers a weekly box of seasonal, hopefully local, probably organic vegetables. DH is thinking about sustainability, and I have been encouraged to think seasonally by various bloggers. Wannabe Sybil has been recounting her adventures with her veg boxes with her customary wit and made me rethink my shopping habits.

Up to a few years ago we were part of a well known veg box scheme in the UK. We stopped for two reasons:
  • It wasn't based locally, so the veg was trucked up from the West Country to our local franchisee.
  • I was absolutely rubbish at using up the vegetables. I often found that I was wasting them which kind of defeated the object of the exercise.
At the moment our regular vegetable consumption consists of frozen peas, frozen sweetcorn, salad, onions and potatoes with the odd carrot thrown in. Not exactly seasonal, interesting or local. Of course the ideal solution would be to grow our own vegetables. Unfortunately we just don't have the space. We do grow some beans, carrots and onions as well as assorted types of fruit, but in nothing like the quantities needed to sustain a family of four.

So I have gone ahead and ordered a small box from a local company. It arrives on Friday and I have been devising ways of using the veg. I am DETERMINED not to waste any this time.  It will be a challenge! I already make out a weekly menu plan; I think I am going to have to be a bit more flexible and inventive than I usually am.

I know that organic food is more expensive than non-organic produce. I am also aware that a veg box would be considered a luxury by a lot of people. I am not judging anyone else's food choices, just starting to consider my own.

4 comments:

  1. I will be getting a box tomorrow, I hope we can share notes - it is so much fun! WS xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect I will need all the help I can get!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lesley I have toyed with the idea of a veg box for a couple of years now but always backed off as I wondered if I would actually use everything up so I will be watching very closely to see how you get on - maybe you will persuade me to do it. A great post Lesley, always love the things you write about. Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see what kinds of veggies you get and to see the creative ways you use them.

    We don't have a co-op in our area, but I buy local veggies from a family. However, most people in this area plant the same things year after year so I almost always know what I am getting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - I am always happy to hear from you!