Thursday 6 June 2013

Artistic garb

This week has been art week at school for DS. I am sure many ten year old boys love art. DS is not one of them! He would much rather do a whole week of maths or science; in fact, probably anything else. He is colour blind, and finds art incredibly frustrating.

Tomorrow he has to dress up as an artist, or as something inspired by a painting. This produced much discussion in our house. His sister thought he should put on a hoody, carry a spray can and go as Banksy, the elusive graffiti artist.  As an essentially law-abiding citizen, DS was not keen. I suggested playing with face paints and going as the tormented soul from Munch's "The Scream". He wasn't terribly happy with that idea either!

Image from Wikipedia
In the end we plumped for modern art, and came up with this:


This is very loosely based on Mondrian's "Composition" series. I have seen one of the originals in the Tate Modern in London and, to be honest, I was a bit nonplussed by it. However, it was remarkably easy to imitate with coloured felt and insulation tape! I should think Mondrian would be turning in his grave, but now I have an excuse to take the children to see the original.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous Lesley, just love it. Really thinking outside the box here and so creative. Great post as always. Thank you for your support Lesley it gets a bit lonely over at my place but I realise this is part of the process. It is always nice when you drop by. Thank you.
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorothy! Thank you for your kind comment. I think you are doing very well with your blog. I had two comments in my first month, and one of those was my husband! Sue over at "The Quince Tree" wrote a very good post on blogging at http://thequincetree65.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-quince-tree-graduates.html. It's worth reading and it is a beautiful blog. Love Lesley x

      Delete

Thank you for your comment - I am always happy to hear from you!