Friday 15 February 2013

Being thankful

So far I have had a nice gentle start to the 40acts "Do Lent Generously" Challenge. The first day's challenge was to put together a "generosity kit" so that I can be generous when out and about. Now, my handbag is known as my Mary Poppins bag as it contains everything I need (although not, sadly, an aspidistra!). I have been known to dispense plasters to commuters on the Paris metro and witch hazel to mothers of bumped and bruised toddlers in playgrounds. So I felt I had challenge one well and truly covered.

Mary Poppins reveals her generosity kit!
The second day's challenge was to make something for someone I love, so I made a card for a friend who has been really supportive over the past few weeks. Today's challenge was to make a list of things I am thankful for, so here goes:

  • I am very grateful for DH, who supports and loves all the family even though his health is not great.
  • I am thankful for my kids. (I don't always feel it when my house sounds like a cross between a monkey enclosure and a wrestling arena, but I am thankful. Honest.)
  • The community I live in. I live in a new town in the crowded South East of England. It is not a rural idyll, nor particularly beautiful. However I have fantastic neighbours!
  • My health! I rarely get ill, and usually bounce back when I do. I know that I am very fortunate in this.
  • My friends, both real and virtual, "the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom". (Proust)
  • My local library. They probably keep me solvent!
  • My church as we journey with God together.

I could go on, but I suspect you would get bored!

1 comment:

  1. When I have more time, I want to investigate your link to the 40 Acts but I wanted to let you know that I think it is a fab idea, and thank you very much for sharing. I so want to get away from Lent being a punitive time, and make it something so much more. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - I am always happy to hear from you!