Wednesday 17 October 2012

Easy peasy chocolate fondue.

A few weeks ago Morgan at Growing in the Fens very kindly sent me some little cook books, including this one on healthy eating:


I was a bit surprised that it contained a recipe for chocolate fondue! That wouldn't top the list of healthy desserts for me. This recipe uses evaporated milk rather than double cream which presumably gives it the "healthy" status. I've never made fondue before so I was eager to give it a try. The children were also keen!

Ingredients

25g/1oz cocoa powder
170g can evaporated milk
25g/1oz milk chocolate, chopped

Chopped fruit.

Method

1. Put the cocoa powder into a non-stick saucepan and stir in the evaporated milk little by little to make a smooth sauce. I suspect the "non-stick" is important here for the well-being of the saucepan.

2. Add the chocolate. I used dark chocolate rather than milk as that is all I had in the cupboard. I am not fussy about cocoa solids; this was the value range of chocolate!

3. Put the saucepan over a medium heat and, stirring continuously, bring to a simmer. Keep it at a simmer and stir for another minute. The chocolate should have melted and the sauce should be thickened.

4. Serve with whatever fruit you have. It is a good way of using up fruit that has been occupying the fruit bowl for too long. I served the sauce in individual cups. I added some sugar to our sauce as the dark chocolate made it a bit bitter for children.


The children particularly liked the pineapple. DD rated it one of her best puddings ever, so it's just as well it only takes 5 minutes to make! It's also fairly cheap as the evaporated milk costs around 45p and I used about 9p worth of value chocolate.


1 comment:

  1. Looks lovely - glad you found something in the booklets to try with such success xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - I am always happy to hear from you!