Saturday 8 September 2012

It's never boring at Goring!

Today has been a beautiful late summer day and we decided to make the most of it. We packed up swimming costumes, bucket, spade and a picnic and headed down to Goring-by-Sea. This is one of our favourite places on the south coast and we head there whenever we get cravings for the sea. Unlike it's flashier neighbours, Brighton and Littlehampton, it is completely unspoilt. There is nothing whatsoever on the beach front apart from one cafe and some beach huts.

When we arrived the tide was out, and we walked out to the sea for what felt like miles; exploring rock pools, building dams, splashing, paddling and gazing at the big, empty sky. 

There was such a feeling of space.

Beautiful rippling patterns that stretch for miles.
I think these are young ringed plovers.


I would love one of these!
There is a large grassy area behind the beach which is great for picnics and frisbee throwing.

This darter dragonfly took a fancy to DD's hat!
I don't think the cafe has changed much since the 1970s. They do a fantastic line in huge cakes; one belgian bun was enough for four of us. Of course, we had to have ice creams as well so not a good day for our weight-loss challenge, but a lovely one for building family and reminding ourselves of the greatness of God's world.

1 comment:

  1. It's been a while since I was here, and now I read that you are going to be 40 at the end of the month, just like me! (I'm the 28th!) I really should come here more often, so I'm going to put you in my blogroll so that I remember..trouble is that reading everyone's blogs can get so time consuming, but I am going to prune a few out and add some new ones in, including you. Lovely to be back xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - I am always happy to hear from you!